Listeners across the United Kingdom were left shocked and confused after a British radio station mistakenly announced that King Charles III had died. The dramatic broadcast quickly sparked panic online before the station later confirmed the announcement was completely false and caused by a technical error.
The incident involved Radio Caroline, a well-known UK station that accidentally activated its official “Death of a Monarch” emergency broadcasting procedure on May 19. The protocol is designed for use only in the event of a monarch’s actual death and includes special announcements, music changes, and suspended programming.
Broadcast Suddenly Interrupted Normal Programming
According to reports, regular programming was interrupted by a solemn announcement informing listeners that King Charles III had passed away. The station reportedly repeated the message several times before switching to respectful music and briefly going silent.

One version of the broadcast reportedly stated:
“His Majesty King Charles III has passed away.”
The dramatic interruption immediately triggered concern among listeners, especially because British broadcasters traditionally follow strict protocols during royal deaths. Many people rushed to social media searching for confirmation, while others feared major news organizations had not yet updated their coverage.
Station Says “Computer Error” Caused the Mistake
Shortly afterward, Radio Caroline issued a public apology explaining that the false announcement happened because of a computer malfunction at its Essex studio. Station manager Peter Moore said the “Death of a Monarch” system was accidentally activated even though staff never intended to trigger it. The station explained that going silent after the announcement actually helped workers realize something had gone wrong, allowing them to restore regular programming. The station apologized directly to the King and listeners for any distress caused by the incident.
King Charles Was Actually in Northern Ireland
At the exact time the false report aired, King Charles III was alive and carrying out public engagements alongside Queen Camilla in Northern Ireland. Reports said the royal couple attended cultural events and met members of the public during the visit.
The mistake gained even more attention because the King has been receiving cancer treatment since publicly revealing his diagnosis in 2024. That health situation has previously fueled online rumors and speculation about his condition. However, there has been no indication from Buckingham Palace that the King’s condition suddenly worsened.
Royal Death Protocols Are Extremely Strict
British broadcasters maintain highly detailed procedures for reporting the death of a monarch or senior royal family member. These plans are prepared years in advance to ensure stations respond immediately and respectfully if such an event occurs. Typically, television and radio stations suspend normal entertainment programming, presenters switch to dark clothing, and special news coverage begins almost instantly following official palace confirmation. Because of these strict traditions, the accidental activation created confusion and concern among listeners who recognized the seriousness of the protocol.

Social Media Explodes With Reactions
Following the false announcement, social media quickly filled with reactions ranging from panic to disbelief. Some users initially believed the news was real, while others questioned how such a major broadcasting error could happen. Several people joked that the incident sounded like the plot of a movie, while royal watchers criticized the station for creating unnecessary alarm during an already sensitive period for the monarchy. The viral story also sparked wider discussions about how broadcasters prepare for major national events and how quickly misinformation can spread online when official-looking announcements appear unexpectedly.
















